Friday, October 22, 2010

Looking Back ~Happy 50th Anniversary First United Pentecostal Church!!

Today we begin the celebration of our church’s 50th Anniversary. As it does for many people, the occasion evokes a lot of wonderful memories. Too many to mention, really-but I do want to share a few. There is something very special about sharing a history with a group of people. God’s family is as close, and sometimes even closer than our own natural family. We are supernaturally knit together by the Spirit of God sharing the ups and downs, the joys and struggles of life. Most importantly we find ways to share God with each other and with those who have not yet become part of this terrific family. 



Today I am remembering Lois. The person God chose to introduce me to the truth of His Word. Our meeting was divinely orchestrated. Of that I am certain. Lois walked with God. Everything about her said just that. She was salt and she was light. I know this because being around her made me realize how much I needed God. She made me thirsty to know Him. The enemy threw a curve ball, but God hit that ball right out of the park and made a home run! The President of the Board of Directors who hired me was not fond of Pentecostals, most particularly those of the United Pentecostal faith. They had turned Lois down for my position as Director of the Saint John Deaf & Heard of Hearing Association, even though she was a certified Sign language Interpreter and held a business degree. Then…they actually had the nerve to call her and ask her to teach me sign language. See what I mean? Divine intervention. I was warned that Lois would try to convert me and cautioned about some of the things she believed. Little did they know that I had already begun a quest for God and they were playing right into His unseen hand! Lois won me to herself and then to her God. It was only after many conversations, and eventually a Home Bible study, that I decided to visit her church. First United Pentecostal Church on Mark Drive was nothing like I had ever experienced. I know I’ve written about this before but it bears repeating. I was simultaneously in a totally foreign atmosphere yet I felt like I had come home. The Spirit of God was real and powerful. People were testifying, worshipping, dancing, speaking in tongues and praying. One thought entered my mind. “Whatever this is, I want to be a part of it.” I didn’t understand it, but I knew it was for me. That was the beginning of my, to date, twenty-two year relationship with God and with His family at First UPC.



Today I am remembering Bro. and Sis Arden Bustard. Although only my pastors for a short time, they both contributed greatly to building the foundation of my spiritual life and remain people of influence to this day. On April 15th, 1988 Bro. Bustard baptized me in the wonderful name of Jesus for the remission of my sins.


Today I am remembering Bro. and Sis. Edward Goddard-our pastors for seventeen wonderful years.


 I can't begin to convey the numerous ways they touched and influenced our lives. They led by example. My love for the truth of God's Word was encouraged and grew under their ministry. Our family was continually nourished and challenged by Bro. Goddard's anointed preaching and teaching. As a couple, they saw us at our best and at our worst and loved us still. 

In February of 1989 Bro Goddard baptized Paul in the Bay of Fundy



He dedicated our daughters to the Lord.





He baptized Alexandra at the age of 6 after she had received the Holy Ghost at home.



And Hannah at the age of 12 after she received the Holy Ghost at Junior Camp.




He baptized my father at the age of  80


Today I'm thankful for a host of awesome Sunday School teachers who taught my girls from age 2 right through to their teens




Today I am remembering an honor roll of wonderful elders who had a profound and lasting impact on our lives and are now forever in the Presence of the God they loved so much..

Wally and Barb Hutchings
Isabelle Norris
Myrtis Beatty
Eva Thompson
Norman and Fern Morehouse
Ken Wright

All I can think to say is thank you.... You made such a difference in our lives and your memory lives on!!

Today I'm remembering special people who left First UPC in Saint John to minister elsewhere but remain forever friends...so dear to our hearts..

Allison and Wendy Cromwell now pastoring in Picton, Ontario


Bruce and Melodie Bartel now pastoring in Victoria, BC

Johanna (Manley) Dabbs

Today I'm thankful for Bro. and Sis. David Jenkins


and Bro and Sis Gordon Lewis



Elders who continue to bless and encourage our lives in so many ways.


I think the waves of nostalgia will be flowing this weekend as we gather to celebrate our 50th year! Praying our future will be as remarkable and as memorable as our past! Jesus IS the same yesterday, today and forever!!









No comments:

Post a Comment