Monday, October 25, 2010

BE the Light

 have one of those minds that just won't quit. Not that I can't rest or sleep at night, but alot of the time my mind is preoccupied with SOMEthing. My husband laughs when I tell him how amazed I am that he can fall asleep in a split second. Which compels me to ask him if he has anything at all in his thoughts...lol! His reply is that he has absolute control over his mind so he can shut those thoughts off and go to sleep instantaneously -without any problem. Hmmmm....I'm not so sure about that but ANyway....

Today, Matthew 5:14 got caught in the wheels of my mind.


Jesus said. "You ARE the light of the world."


In other words, the great I AM wants His people to BE the light. Kind of a natural flow in the conjugation of that verb.....


    I                  am


you
are


he/she/it    
is


we
are


you
are


they
are


A lamp can only shine when it's plugged in, right?  


When you and I plug into the I AM-we ARE…we start BEING like Him, reflecting His glory…..reflecting His light.


"IN HIM was life; and the life WAS the light of men." [John 1:4] 

Jesus tells us exactly how to plug in and shine, in  John 15:4, 7 & 10 

"ABIDE in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.....  If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.......If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." 


To abide with Jesus means to remain or continue with Him, to make your dwelling place with Him, to continue in a relationship with Him. To abide means that Jesus is our Source. It means plugging into Him through faith, prayer and His Word-drawing from Him and depending upon Him for everything. Did I say everything? Yup...everything. 

Because when Jesus consumes us. When He fills us. When we are loving Him with all of our heart...WE SHINE! Like Peter and John...people will  marvel and take knowledge of us, that we Have BEEN with Jesus!! 


BE the Light!

Abiding is an action word. When we are plugged in to Jesus everything we do will be an outflow of that divine connection. Everything we do is because of Him, by Him and through Him.Kind of like a divine umbilical cord that supplies everything we need for nourishment and growth. Whatever we require, whether it's wisdom or words, direction or maybe just an extra measure of faith–it is available.

Abiding gives us divine motivation. It compels us to be more like Him and to desire His will more than our own.


But keep in mind that not EVERYone will be drawn to His light in you. That’s a misconception that can leave you feeling down or convince you that to accommodate or appeal to sinners, abiding is not enough. Paul asked the believers at Galatia, "Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, do you now perfect yourself in the flesh?" [Galatians 3:3]  

Jesus said , "No one can come to Me unless the Father who has sent Me draw him. [John 6:44]


Some people will be drawn to His light in us like moths. I know I was when God began to draw me by His Spirit. And I am thankful for someone who lived an abiding life, who reflected His light and was led by His Spirit.

And then there are those who (for lack of a more pleasant analogy) are like cockroaches. Those bugs that scurry back into dark corners and crevices when their late-night snacking party in your kitchen is illuminated by your light.


The Bible says it far more tastefully:-)

"For every wrongdoer hates (loathes, detests) the Light, and will not come out into the Light but shrinks from it, lest his works (his deeds, his activities, his conduct) be exposed and reproved.But he who practices truth [who does what is right] comes out into the Light; so that his works may be plainly shown to be what they are--wrought with God [divinely prompted, done with God's help, in dependence upon Him].  [John 3:20-21]


I want to abide in Him...do you?


 Proverbs 3:4-5 encourages us to do this:


"Lean on, trust in and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding. In ALL your ways know recognize and acknowledge Him, and he will direct and make straight and plain your paths." 


BE the Light!
BE IN Him!


Oh How we need Him! 
How we need the leading of His Spirit!


Today the words of this old familiar hymn say it best for me... 

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment