Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Anchor Holds!

I've been thinking about Pastor Kennedy's morning message on 'change', and how getting ourselves into the Presence of God and submitting ourselves to Him will help us weather the multitude of changes all of us will face throughout life.


Change is inevitable.

People change. Circumstances of life change. In fact, if we could use just one word to describe this world, 'changing' sort of captures the essence of it all. Think back just a few years and consider the changes that have taken place economically, socially, spiritually and politically. On every front change has and still is occurring. It's like being on one of those contstantly moving walkways in an airport....but this one never ends. You can't get off. And it can feel downright overwhelming at times.

Here's the thing. You can't stop change.

But what you CAN do is anchor yourself to the One who never changes.

Jesus Christ.

Listen to this.....The Biblle tells us in the book of Hebrews that God's counsel...what He says...is immutable. Immutable means NOT SUBJECT TO CHANGE. It is impossibe for God to lie. The promises He gives to us transcend this present world and bring hope. Hebrews 6:19 says, "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast."

Jesus is described as "the forerunner" who has gone behind the veil before us and secured our future.

The winds of change may blow...they may even bend us to the ground....but they will not uproot us if we put our faith, our trust and our hope in Jesus!!

The anchor holds
Though the ship is battered
The anchor holds
Though the sails are torn
I have fallen on my knees
As I faced the raging seas
The anchor holds
In spite of the storm

The Greek word for 'forerunner' is found nowhere else in the New Testament. It was used in the second century A.D. for smaller boats that were sent out into the harbor by larger ships unable to enter due to the buffeting of the weather. These small boats carried the anchor through the breakers inside the harbor and dropped it there securing the larger ship. The word 'forerunner' presupposes that others will follow. Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us! That where He is we may be also!

Jesus is not only our Anchor-He is also like our runner boat. He has taken our anchor into port and secured it there.

Listen up folks! There is no doubt as to whether the vessel is going into port!! Just so long as you keep yourself anchored in Jesus. There is only one sure thing in this life-

" I the Lord do not change." [Mal.3:6]

You CAN put ALL your eggs in that basket!

If you have a few minutes, take a little walk through Hebrews. Remind yourself who Jesus is and what He has done for you. Pull on the rope a little and make sure you're anchored to Him.

Are you in a storm? Are the winds of change rocking the boat of your life? I dare you to sing these lyrics to the Lord.....hands lifted high...and just see what happens!

Upon life’s boundless ocean where mighty billows roll,
I’ve fixed my hope in Jesus, blest anchor of my soul;
When trials fierce assail me as storms are gathering o’er,
I rest upon His mercy and trust Him more.

I’ve anchored in Jesus, the storms of life I’ll brave,
I’ve anchored in Jesus, I fear no wind or wave.
I’ve anchored in Jesus, for He hath power to save,
I’ve anchored to the Rock of Ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment