Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bent Out of Shape


Today I met a woman who for eighteen years suffered with a terrible spirit of infirmity. You've probably already guessed that I met her in the pages of Scripture. In fact, I've bumped into her several times over the years but this morning I saw her in a way I've never seen her before. She is described as someone who was "bent over and could in no way raise herself up." The Greek word for infirmity "astheneia" means a feebleness of body or mind indicating an inability to produce results. Have you ever felt that way? So weak in your mind and emotions that you can't raise yourself up? Bombarded with thoughts and memories that are pressing down with such force you can't think straight. I mean, really, how many times have we said to ourselves or to someone else, "I can't think straight!!". Bent over emotionally and spiritually-you're not able to look up or ahead...just down.

Sounds despairing, doesn't it?

And it might be....

It could be....

If we don't encounter Jesus. The lady I read about came to where He was, and that's what we must do. In spite of our infirmity we must find our way to Him through the avenue of prayer and in the pages of His Word. In His presence, He will touch us as He did that woman in Scripture. And like her, we will be made straight and glorify God.

Believe it!!!

Even the Gadarene demoniac, a man possessed by a legion of demons-twisted and bent out of shape in the worst of ways-deemed hopeless by everyone else...was found clothed and in his right mind and sitting at the feet of Jesus.

Cry out to Him, "Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies; Make your way straight before my face." (Psalm 5:8)

And he will answer you," I will go before you and make the crooked places straight; I wiill break in pieces the gates of bronze and cut the bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of secret places, That you may know that I, the Lord who call you by your name am the God of Israel." (Isaiah 45:2-3)

Isn't that amazing! His words to Cyrus are His words to you. Whatever your infirmity...no matter how great the darkness in your life...Jesus will give you treasures where you least expected to find them.

1 comment: