Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Jesus Loves Me this I know

This past Sunday night in service, our Youth Pastor brought to our attention something I didn't know. Something I had never seen before.

I believe, and have said on many occasions that the Bible is a treasure chest. You can skim from the top, reading only on the surface and be blessed. But if you take the time to study-to really dig in prayerfully and search the Scriptures you will find even more beautiful, powerful nuggets of truth that will transform and edify and equip you.

I have read the parable of the Prodigal Son countless times. It is a beautiful story of God's love and mercy toward those who have in one way or another squandered His inheritance. Who have turned their backs on His wonderful plan of salvation in pursuit of the temporary pleasures of this world. We see God's love captured in the welcoming embrace of this father. A man who had been treated so unkindly by his son, yet the joy he expresses at his return holds not one trace of bittenerness or unforgiveness. The Bible describes how the son comes to himself and realizes the error of his decision. He then heads for home, and "when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him." (Luke 15:20)

The father's love and understanding toward his son is moving.

A portrait of grace.

Just the way God is with us when we mess up. Imagine the joy this father felt when he looked into the distance and saw the figure of his son walking toward home. It isn't difficult to picture him running toward his son and gathering him up in a warm passionate embrace.

That's what "fell" means. It's a funny Greek word "epipipto" which means to embrace with affection or seize with more or less violence; to fall into or upon.

Did you know that? I didn't.

And here's something else I didn't know. The part that really got me. If you have a trusty Strong's Concordance you can look up any word in the Bible, find out how many times and where it is used and, of course what it means. Well, that same word "fell" is used two other times in the New Testament.

(Act 10:44) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

(Act 11:15) And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

I don't know about you, but this absolutely thrills me! In fact it downright blesses my socks off! I don't know....I guess we think of God's Spirit falling down from the sky or something but this! This describes the Holy Ghost falling on us as the passionate embrace of God! A divine hug! He seizes us passionately and possessively making us His own!! WOW!!

Just a couple of weeks ago when I was blessed to be near a lovely lady upon whom the Holy Ghost fell....that is exactly what I had been thinking as I watched. God was wrapping her in a loving embrace. You could FEEL it!

And on that beautiful, comforting note I am heading off to bed...thinking

Jesus loves me this I know :-)

1 comment: